Saturday, May 31, 2014

Baking Cookies

Finding something to occupy my time is a daily challenge.  There are things I have to do, things I've been meaning to do, things I want to do, and things I don't.  I enjoyed a combination of them today.

First thing this morning, I was supposed to babysit my nephew.  I had a rough night last night, staying up too late reading on my Kindle, though even that did not lull me to sleep.  I took a muscle relaxer, but oddly it seemed my muscle pain and spasms increased.  Eventually, some music to relax me and I fell asleep.  Not early enough, though as When 10:30 came around (and so did my sister-in-law and nephew) I was still out.

I woke up quickly, though, with his bright, smiling face!  That kid always makes my day!  But while I was watching him, I remembered the jar of cookie mix from the baby shower for him.  I'd been meaning for ages to make them.  I wanted to do it on a day when hubby would be home to enjoy them fresh from the oven, but it seemed that I was often in too much pain or too fatigued to do so.  Somehow revitalized by my visit with my nephew, I felt the urge to bake cookies.  Once his dad had picked him up, I proceeded to get everything together to start baking.

I learned a few things from this.  First is, don't let a mason jar of cookie ingredients sit for over a year.  I think I doubled my work having the sugar, brown sugar, and flour so compacted and hard to break up.  I did, of course, but just mixing the dry ingredients was enough to start the back pain.

Second, I need to get REAL mixing bowls!  I was recently blessed to receive a hand mixer (thank you, Doreen!) but it was far too messy using it in that little pyrex bowl I use for my biggest mixing projects.  It usually works well for mashed potatoes, but even being my biggest bowl, it was too small for these cookies.

Lastly, I think next time I'll be splitting up the job to save my back.  Once I get proper mixing bowls, I think I'll start by mixing the dry ingredients, rest a bit, add the wet while the oven preheats and throw them in.  I underestimated how much work such a simple thing would be.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, and the cookies are good!

I just have to plan better next time.

And get real mixing bowls.  Gentle Hugs!

No comments: