Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You Suck at Pessimism

Perusing some of my favorite web comics yielded this, today.  I guess I was a little surprised as XKCD is usually a techie, geeky, nerdy comic site.  But, as I've been spending days deciding what to write about, this was as good as anything for inspiration.

Like our protagonist here, I've found myself feeling scared about my illness.  I've run the gamut of emotions regarding my fibromyalgia.  When I was first diagnosed, there was an indescribable feeling of relief:  after years of trying to find out what was wrong and doctors just saying "lose weight", I had an answer.  I can remember before I was diagnosed, if I would have to leave someplace early because of my pain, I'd feel the need to explain it as "my knee is acting up" because that was the only answer I had ever had for my pain.  But truthfully, it wasn't usually my knee.  I'd go home in pain because of my neck or my back or something else.  But how could I say "I'm hurting too much from something and I have no idea why"?

So, having the answer lifted a huge weight off my shoulder.  Since then, I've experienced the highs and lows one would expect with a chronic illness.  The depression that's been around for about as long as my pain likes to rear its ugly head.  It's tough to fight off the feelings that I'm living with this for what will likely be several decades.  It's hard to shake the knowledge that as time goes by, my body will feel worse.  Worst is knowing that I disappoint people with what I can't do, no matter how much those people may understand.

The argument in the comic that it's all about having a good attitude is one that is easier said than done.  When you're looking at someone dealing with chronic pain, it's easy to say "Just have a positive outlook".  But when you're the one dealing with it, it's another thing altogether.  How do you have a positive outlook when you feel 40 years older than you are?  Where is the positive in losing your independence?

At some point, you come to the realization that the negative feelings never go away.  Until a cure is found, you will feel all the stages of grief again and again.  But, in my experience, usually at the end of all this you come to an even deeper realization of yourself.

You come out stronger, more sure of yourself.  You realize that you deal with this crappy disease and you're still alive.  You deal with the pain every day and yet still try to do as much of what you used to do as possible.  And in lots of ways, you end up better for your suffering.  You learn what and who is not worth your energy.  You return to the little things to keep busy.

And, although you have all the reason in the world to be great at it, you really suck at pessimism.

No comments: